Britain has relatively mild year-round weather, which means that turf can be laid at almost any time during year in the UK (of course, avoiding storming gales and record scorchers would be a good idea!). However, October is absolutely one of the best times. So, if you’ve been considering laying a new lawn, take action because NOW IS ONE OF THE BEST TIMES TO DO IT!
Here’s why October is such a great time of year to lay a new lawn:
- At Paynes Turf, we've been growing, nurturing and tending to our turf throughout all of spring and summer. And while our turf is premium all year round, in early Autumn it is in peak, peak condition. This means laying now = stunning lawn coming your way.
- October is not extremely hot, nor is it freezing cold. This makes it ideal weather for laying turf, whether you do it yourself or get a landscaper to do it for you (need a landscaper by the way? We work with many throughout the country and can point you in the direction of a trusted one). No excess sweating, no freezing your toes and fingers off, no need to drink every five second or wear 50 layers of clothes. That lawn can get laid in ease. (But do remember to keep hydrated by drinking lots of water, and wear sunscreen if it’s sunny!).
- It’s cooler during the day, so turf stays fresher for longer when it’s rolled up. You can take a little extra time creating an amazing, nourishing base for your turf without worrying about the super hot weather drying it out quickly. Remember that preparation is KEY, so check out our turf laying guide for instructions (we also sell all the topsoils you’ll need, so just ask us!).
- The soil in the garden is nice and easy to work with in October, it’s not frozen nor is it very dry.
- You won’t need to water your new lawn as often as you would if it was laid in summer, saving you cash and the environment!
There are many more reasons, but we’ll save that for another blog post.
To order your turf, call us and we’ll arrange delivery. If you’re not sure how much you need, use the turf calculator. And if you don’t want to lay it yourself, we can recommend some of our trusted landscapers to help you out.